Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The old pink house



I thought I would explain my contest entry for this week :)

About two miles from my parents' farm in the middle-of-nowhere Saskatchewan sits "the old pink house." It hasn't been inhabited in recent memory and it has been deserted for quite some time. Someone owns the land of course, but the house has never been removed. It's actually a pretty memorable part of my childhood- it's familiar and reminds me of home. It was always our landmark to direct people to the farm- just turn right at the pink house :). I would often walk or bike to it, just contemplating "stuff". I've always wondered about its history and what memories it holds. I'm glad I took the time to photograph it this past winter so now I have a record of it even if it is one day torn down for good. And, yes, it is painted pink!

4 comments:

Alycia Hildebrand said...

It must have been quite the house back in its day. I always feel sad for those houses...they need some loving!
Great shot! You really managed to capture the age of the house!

Jenn M said...

I love buildings like that! There is a similiar one near my grandparent's cottage that holds similar memories for me :)

You did a beautiful job capturing the feeling of the house

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

I love this picture - where abouts is it located??

Lorelei said...

I love these old houses... we have a lot of old outbuildings and houses here in Alberta and I love it when I can convince hubby to stop on whatever trip we're on to catch some pictures.

I think you did a great job capturing this one.