Sunday, March 30, 2008

Best. Run. Ever.


So obviously I've been a bit lazy with this whole blog thing. With Easter and then the joys of Norwalk (thanks family!) it's been a little crazy and I haven't really done anything productive at all.

My latest thing has been learning to run. Let me preface by saying I am NOT a runner. I have big hips, big thighs and even bigger breasts. I was designed for pumping out babies, not long distance running, LOL! But I want to learn to run- for my health, to lose weight, to exercise my dogs, and just to say I can :) I'm doing the Couch to 5K program which basically involves 9 week walk-run interval training (using convenient podcasts that tell you when to walk and when to run- all set to *awesome* techno music...). You run 3 times a week, gradually increasing the length of time you run until you're running for 30 whole minutes at the very end. Crazy, huh? I don't think I've ever been able to run more than 5 minutes even when I've been in super good shape. I've completed the first two weeks and I started the 3rd week today. I've battled nasty shin splints, calve cramps and side aches and I think I've figured it all out! Today's run was fantastic and it's inspired me to believe that I can and will run for 30 whole minutes in just a few weeks time- so much so that I'm going to register for a 5K marathon on June 8. To further inspire me, last week a bought terribly expensive running shoes to help me along. They're the most expensive shoes I've ever owned- so now I have to run!

3 comments:

Jenn M said...

I'm not a runner either - and I really want to try the couch to 5k program. Right now, itunes is really acting up on our computer and it's the only thing stopping me from trying it out. We keep discussing how we need to reformat the computer and get everythign workign a little better - your post is inspiring me to get moving on that :) Thanks

Callista said...

Keep up the good work! And teh shoes will be worth it in the long run...TRUST ME! You feet are one of the most important parts of your body and you need good supportive and structured shoes for running. Looks like New Balance, my dad swears by NB, he has awful feet/ankles and hips from the military and workingout in combat boots. You have inspired me to start running too :D, now to just make the time for it

Jenn said...

Good for you!! I *try* to go for a ride on my stationary bike every night in my living room (lol) but I don't always make it!!
It'll be a good way to give yourself more energy for thesis-writing too :)
Besides that, I actually think you took a great picture of the shoes too!!